Tuesday, December 4, 2007

New Jersey, and more on burritos

I've been in New Jersey all week. Mahwah, to be exact. Supposedly, you can see NYC from here, but it's been cloudy, snowy and windy, so I haven't even been able to see Mahwah.

Before coming here, we did find a good Mexican restaurant in Saratoga Springs - owned by a real live Mexican who spent many years as a jockey there. The chips and salsa were excellent, as was my chimi. But, I have to complain that the only bean burrito on the menu had mushrooms in it! Criminal. Lisa had a mushroom quesadilla, so I can't say too many bad things about the little fungi.

While I'm complaining about burritos, I hate yuppie burritos. Those are those 5lb foil wrapped things you get at Chipotle, Qdoba, and at Moe's, out this way. I don't have strong feelings about this topic, or anything. Really I don't. :-) But let me say this: Rice belongs outside of burritos - not inside! And, you can't hold a good burrito in your hand. It's not possible, because it has to be lying on the plate drowning in green chili with tender chunks of pork, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Now I'm hungry again!

1 comment:

flasshe said...

Okay, I can go with your definition of "burrito" as the real one (except that I can't stand lettuce on them). But the burrito-like items they sell at Chipotle et al are not without a deliciousness factor. Yeah, the rice is weird, but I don't mind it. It fills it out.